Lesley and I both love bourbon chicken and after tweaking a few different recipes we found online (was a lot of trial and error) , we have perfected our version. Also, before I get emails saying “WHERE IS THE BOURBON!”, we don’t drink the stuff so there was no point in only buying it for this recipe. I could have called it something else, but it tastes just like other variations of the recipes I’ve had. So deal with it. This will make at a minimum of 4 servings. Let’s begin!
Prep Time: 30-35 mins
Cook time: 45-50 mins
- 2.5 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces. Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and whatever else you like to season your chicken with.
- 1 -2 tablespoons coconut oil (or olive oil, veggie oil, etc..)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed (FRESH NOT POWDER)
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (FRESH NOT POWDER)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons of corn starch (to thicken sauce if need be)
- 2-3 cups of cooked rice (we start our rice cooker right as the first batch of chicken cooks)
STEPS TO MAKE FOOD
- Heat oil in wok (or large skillet)
- Cook the chicken in 2-3 batches so it gets nice and browned. Set aside. Wipe down wok.
- Combine all of the ingredients (except for corn starch) in a bowl and whisk.
- Add to wok over medium heat to get everything dissolved
- Add chicken and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 mins.
- Enjoy a beer or 2.
- Add cornstarch in the last few mins if you want a thicker sauce or if yours just isn’t reducing enough (also add one tablespoon of water per tablespoon of cornstarch you add).
- Serve over rice and drink a beer.
- NOM NOM NOM NOM