From The Terminator – Buy it here
James Cameron’s The Terminator is my favorite movie in The Terminator franchise. It has the 3 things that get me excited about a movie: Robots, Lasers, and 80’s Synth Music. On top of that, we get the four big names of the 80’s: Schwarzenegger, Henriksen, Paxton, and Biehn all kicking ass. So why is this the movie of the day? LOADING BULLET POINTS:
- The opening of the film is fantastic. It sets the tone and nails the atmosphere.
The worst part though? We’ve yet to have a Terminator flick take advantage of the Future War stuff as shown in this movie.. LASERS ARE AWESOME. GUNS WITH BULLETS ARE BORING.
- The theme song. EPIC.
- The punks. PAXTON IS GREAT.
- “Phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range. ” “Hey, just what you see, pal! ” I love Dick Miller and the gun store scene.
- Kyle creating his sawed off shotgun:
- This guy.
- Arnold hunting down Sarah Connor. The video below has some extra footage. This shows the lengths that The Terminator will go to eliminate his target. He doesn’t give two fucks.
- The asshole kid who puts ice cream in Sarah’s apron.
- The Tech Noir shootout. We finally get a sense of how unstoppable Arnold is AND we get the “Come with me if you want to live.” line I love that line. So much.
- “He’s not a man – a machine. A Terminator. A Cyberdyne Systems Model 101. “
- The hotel scene with Arnold’s arm/eye being worked on.
- Dr. Silberman . “Why didn’t you bring any weapons, something more advanced? Don’t you have, uh… ray guns? Show me a piece of future technology. “
- “I’ll be back”
- Lance Henriksen. James Cameron wanted him to play the Terminator, but they obviously went in a different direction. This allowed him to be gunned down in the police station. Him and Bill Paxton are the only two actors to have been killed by an Alien, Predator, and a Terminator. That’s just awesome.
- “John Connor gave me a picture of you once. I didn’t know why at the time. It was very old – torn, faded. You were young like you are now. You seemed just a little sad. I used to always wonder what you were thinking at that moment. I memorized every line, every curve. I came across time for you Sarah. I love you; I always have.” Kyle is a goddamn pimp.
- The sex scene. I mention this because I never even knew it existed until I was a teenager. My parents would always send me out of the room before it happened. When I finally saw Linda Hamilton’s breasts, it was a good day.
- The truck chase scene. “Get out.”
- The final battle. I love the animation on the exoskeleton. Stan Winston was the man. CGI has nothing on this. It’s still frightening.
- And of course: “You’re terminated, fucker. “