From Near Dark – Buy it here
Near Dark is one of my most favorite vampire movies ever made. It boasts a killer cast, some great direction by Kathryn Bigelow, and these vampires are actually a force to be reckoned with. Why is this movie awesome? Let’s take a look:
- A pretty great first time directing gig for Kathryn Bigelow who would end up directing some amazing movies.
- Lance Henriksen puts in a hell of a performance as the clan’s leader.
- They never go into detail about the vampire mythology in this movie. In fact the word “vampire” is never even said. All we know is that this group of people is super strong, they don’t age, can only be destroyed by fire or sunlight, but nothing else really hurts them. I like that.
- Bill “GAME OVER MAN” Paxton rocks every scene in the movie and is one of the best “vampire” characters ever created.
- The bar scene:
- The hints thrown through out the movie in regards to how old the clan actually is. I especially like the idea they started the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.
- Watching Homer finally get his. Worst. Kid. Ever.
- No sparkles.